Each client and each dog is different.
The important questions remain the same. We put together the top Meet-and-Greet questions that cover everything from health and safety to favorite toys and games.
Health and Safety
Who is the emergency contact in case you can’t be reached? This person should be familiar with the dog and be able to make health decisions if you aren’t reachable.
Does your dog:
- Have any health issues (e.g., arthritis, allergies, etc.)?
- Take medication? If so, what’s their medication schedule?
- Ever run away or experience fear/anxiety on-leash?
Eat, Sleep, and Play Routines
- Where do they usually sleep?
- Will I be providing meals? If so, what is the routine and do you have written out anywhere for reference?
- What kind of treats do you give your dog?
- What is your dog’s usual bathroom routine?
- Is your dog used to being left alone? Do they have any seperation anxiety?
- What is your dog’s usual routine for walks, exercise, and outings?
- Where may I find the dog’s harness and fixed-length leash along with any other items I may need to care for your dog?
Behavior & Training
- What basic obedience commands does your dog already know?
- How do you reward your dog for correct behavior?
- Does your dog have any quirks that are normal behavior for them (e.g., funny noises they make) or specific tendencies I should know about?
- Do they have any breed-specific quirks I should know about?
- Does your dog have any food aggression or instincts to protect particular toys? (Keep in mind, even if they answer no, that doesn’t mean the dog will never be food aggressive.)
- How does your dog handle being around:
- Other Dogs On-Leash
- Loud Sounds
- Does your dog have any potentially risky behaviors, like getting into the trash, chewing on shoes or other items, etc.?
- When your dog is anxious or experiencing separation anxiety, what helps soothe him?
- Is there anything specifically that causes anxiety for your dog?
- How do you want to receive post-walk updates i.e. txt, email or telephone call?
- Am I required to use a service elevator when picking up or dropping off the dog?
- In order to gain access to your apartment, will my name and company be added to your access list with your doorman (where applicable)? If not, please provide us two copies of keys.
What Comes Next
- Share with your manager if anytime during the meeting you noticed the dog exhibiting aggression?
- Would you like to setup a consultation with a Pooch Pals professional trainer to help you work with this particular animal?
- Are there any expectations that may exist between you and the client, spoken or unspoken, that do not align with our service policies (notably time windows which is a very common misunderstanding).
- Within 48 hours please update the client’s PSP file in the routine section with notes from your meet-and-greet meeting.